Liposuction and Its Benefits
Liposuction (also known as lipoplasty or body contouring) is a cosmetic surgery technique that uses suction to remove excess fat from under the skin. A Board-certified plastic surgeon applies the suction via a very thin tube made of stainless steel that is inserted into the area with extra body fat you’d like to get rid of.
What are the benefits of liposuction?
- It’s minimally invasive – No needles, scalpels, or sutures are used.
- The procedure is not performed under general anesthesia or IV sedation – Local anesthetics are used.
- Recovery is quick.
- Patients don’t usually require pain medication during liposuction recovery.
If you’re interested in learning more about liposuction in the Dallas / Fort Worth area, check out our before-and-after gallery here.
25-34 year old woman
Treated with Liposuction. Patient is 5’6”, 180 lbs. This procedure is ideal for patients who are unhappy with the appearance of their waist, stomach, back, or arms, and cannot improve it in spite of diet and exercise. We use a proprietary technique as the cornerstone of our body contouring procedures. First off, these procedures are typically performed awake, in the office, with only local anesthesia (although patients can request deeper sedation, if they so desire). In addition to Power-Assisted Liposuction (PAL), we typically use Laser Lipo or VASER (vibration-assisted ultrasound) to reduce dense, fibrous fat, and stimulate collagen formation; Radiofrequency-based skin tightening (Pelleve) to maximize skin contraction; and High Energy Radial Pulse Technology (ZWave), RF, or subcision (Cellfina) to treat cellulite and improve any irregularities. Patients go home the day of surgery; typically do not use any narcotics postop for pain control, and are back to light exercise and work 48 hours after their procedures.
What Can Liposuction Accomplish?
Liposuction techniques can help improve your body image by helping you achieve the shape and size you want. Different people choose liposuction for different reasons. The most common goals we hear are:
- To enhance the shape and contour of the body
- As a form of male breast reduction (removing the fatty tissue of gynecomastia, a condition in which men develop excessive and localized fat deposits in the breasts)
- To improve the appearance of the body by giving it a more natural look
- To boost a person’s self-esteem by improving imbalances and abnormalities in the body
- To collect fat as part of fat transfer, where it is used for a breast augmentation or a Brazilian butt lift
Areas of the Body That Liposuction Can Treat
Many people have fat that they can’t get rid of, no matter how hard they try. Liposuction can help, and it’s able to target many different areas of the body, including (but not limited to):
- Upper back bra roll
- Lower back bra roll
- Back axilla
- Inner thighs
- Chin and neck
- Male breast tissue
If you’re interested in learning more about liposuction, check out our before-and-after gallery here.
Eligibility for Liposuction
The best candidates for liposuction are those who have deposits of body fat that can’t be shed through diet or exercise. These stubborn, localized areas of fat could be a result of your genetics, rather than lifestyle. Good candidates for liposuction have firm, elastic skin. Skin with good elasticity can shrink following the procedure, which will give you the best results. If you’ve lost some skin elasticity due to age, stretch marks, or other causes, don’t worry! Dr. Ver Halen can correct for this with various energy-based liposuction techniques that facilitate skin contraction. When you come in for a consultation, you’ll meet Dr. Ver Halen, a Board-certified and experienced plastic surgeon. He’ll determine your eligibility for liposuction based on the above and your overall health and weight. Most liposuction patients are already within 10% of their ideal weight. If you have more excess fat, a mini tummy tuck or a traditional tummy tuck might be a better option.
Book your first Appointment Today!
$895 per area of liposuction
*There is a $125.00 charge for a no show
How Is Liposuction Different Than Other Fat-Removal Procedures?
Liposuction is different from other fat-removal methods, like CoolSculpting®, truSculpt®, and Zerona®, which are non-surgical body-contouring procedures. These non-surgical methods often cannot remove the amount of fat that liposuction can. Liposuction permanently removes fat cells from the treated areas. Unlike the non-surgical fat-reduction methods, the fat treated with liposuction is gone the same day. While you will have excess fat removed immediately, final results can still take time as your body heals and your skin shrinks. Dr. Ver Halen precisely targets the areas being treated and permanently removes troublesome fat cells, leaving behind a slimmer form. By combining liposuction with other body-shaping aesthetic procedures such as radiofrequency (PelleFirm), acoustic therapy (Cellfina), or EMSCULPT, you can address issues such as:
- Loose skin
- Lack of muscle definition
Minimal downtime can be expected with liposuction performed by Dr. Ver Halen. Many patients are able to return to work and light activity within a day or two.
The Differences Between Liposuction and a Tummy Tuck
Many people who come to Ver Halen Aesthetics aren’t sure whether liposuction or a tummy tuck is right for them. A tummy tuck is best for people who want to remove large deposits of fat. Liposuction is recommended for people who are within 10% of their ideal body weight. There are other important differences between the two procedures:
- A tummy tuck (or abdominoplasty) is more invasive but removes both excess fat and excess skin. Dr. Ver Halen makes an incision along the lower abdomen—from one side of the hip to the other—and around your belly button.
- The soft tissues are redraped (pulled tight), and excess fat and skin are removed. Liposuction only removes the fat.
- The method of fat removal is different. During a tummy tuck, Dr. Ver Halen cuts away the fat, rather than using suction.
Learn more about the differences between liposuction and a tummy tuck here.
How Long Do Liposuction Results Last?
You can keep the fat off permanently if you follow up your procedure with a healthy diet and regular exercise. Liposuction can greatly improve your body proportions and shape, but it’s not a magic bullet for weight loss. Patients who maintain lifestyles with healthy diets and exercise can achieve long-lasting or permanent results.
Liposuction Surgery at Ver Halen Aesthetics
During your liposuction consultation, Dr. Ver Halen will spend time talking with you about:
- The reasons you want liposuction
- Your expectations
- Your desired results
- Any medical conditions you have, as well as allergies and previous medical treatments
- Medications, vitamins, and herbal supplements you’re currently taking
- Your alcohol, tobacco, and drug use
Liposuction at Ver Halen Aesthetics
Dr. Ver Halen performs hundreds of traditional liposuction procedures every year, but for 12 years, he has studied advances in liposuction to develop and trademark a new technique. It combines a few methods for amazing results. Liposuction consists of:
- Laser liposuction or VASERlipo (ultrasound) – These reduce dense, fibrous fat, and stimulate collagen formation. Collagen helps your skin appear more youthful and may reduce cellulite.
- Radiofrequency-based skin tightening (PelleFirm) to maximize skin contraction
- Acoustic/shock wave therapy (ZWave), radiofrequency, or subcision to treat cellulite
At Ver Halen Aesthetics, we evaluate patients for these additional treatments. We’ll select the appropriate treatment based on your:
- Goals for your procedure
- Skin quality
- Amount of fat you’d like removed
- Previous treatment(s)
Preparing for Surgery
You will be asked to follow certain steps in preparation for your liposuction surgery. For example, you may be asked to:
- Take certain medications or adjust the medication(s) you are currently taking
- Avoid smoking
- Avoid anti-inflammatory drugs and certain herbal supplements, as they have the potential to increase bleeding
- Avoid applying moisturizer or body lotions on the day of surgery, as the areas targeted by liposuction need to be free from chemicals. Shampooing your hair is fine.
- Wear loose-fitting clothing
- Ensure you get adequate sleep the night before surgery, as you want to be as rested as possible. This will help you to withstand any physical and emotional stress associated with the surgery.
- Arrange transportation to and from the clinic
- Make sure you have ample food, medication, and entertainment at home for your recovery
Length of Surgery
Liposuctions surgery typically takes 2 to 3.5 hours to complete. The length of surgery will often depend on the number of areas being treated. Patients are generally in our surgery center in Plano or our office in Colleyville for three to four hours, including prep for the procedure.
Before your liposuction’s treatment takes place, you will schedule a post-surgery follow-up. Your first follow-up appointment will most likely be a few days after the procedure. Dr. Ver Halen will take a look at your liposuctions site and ask how you’re recovering. We don’t use any stitches, so you won’t need to have anything removed.
Most of our patients are able to return to work and light exercise within 48 hours and can resume all other activities within two weeks. Bruising, swelling, and soreness shouldn’t last longer than a few weeks.
The Risks of Liposuction
There are some risks associated with liposuctions. According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, these include:
- Anesthesia risks
- Irregular pigmentation
- Change in skin sensation that may persist
- Poor wound healing
- Damage to deeper structures (blood vessels, nerves, muscles, abdominal organs, lungs)
- Deep vein thrombosis, cardiac, and pulmonary complications
- Fluid accumulation
- Need for revision surgery
- Persistent swelling
- Loose or rippling skin
- Thermal burn or heat injury from ultrasound with ultrasound-assisted technique
Combining Liposuction with Other Procedures
Many patients decide to combine liposuction with the following plastic surgery procedures to achieve their desired results:
- Mini tummy tuck
- Tummy tuck
- Breast lift
- Breast augmentationwith breast implants or via fat transfer
- Breast reduction
- Buttock augmentation via fat transferor implants
Our flat rate liposuction pricing allows you to know precisely what your liposuctions procedure costs without the hidden fees. It is common for patients to receive other quotes that are two to three times more expensive for the same procedure. While our goal is to make our procedures affordable for anyone that desires them, our prices are generally 50% less than our competitors, without sacrificing on results or quality.
There are multiple ways that you can pay for your liposuctions treatment. Use a credit card that covers cosmetic surgery—offered by Comenity® Capital Bank (Alphaeon Credit®) and Synchrony Bank (CareCredit®)—or a specialized, efficient loan company like Enhance Patient Finance or United Medical Credit. Other payment options include:
- Credit card
- Cashier’s check
- In-house financing
- Other types of loans
We want you to get the look and confidence you’ve been dreaming of, so don’t hesitate to talk to us about financing options!
Liposuction has a way of making patients feel great! Schedule your consultation today to discuss your treatment options with Dr. Ver Halen in the Dallas / Fort Worth area. You’ll be amazed at what liposuction can do for your self-confidence and body image.